Friday, June 22, 2012

Planting Seeds, Vacation Bible School Style



BUMC Chapel is transformed for VBS








John 3:16: 


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.



This, the first scripture that I memorized in my lifetime, sums up the entire Bible.When I was a young child attending bible school at the First United Methodist Church in Brewton, Alabama, I didn't understand this verse as I recited it; not until much later in life. I confess that I am still exploring the depth and breadth of the meaning of these beautiful, powerful words. I will not reach the fullness of understanding until I am in heaven, when I see love himself, face to face. 


Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a rite of passage for many of us who were raised in the church, or even near a church. In the small town that I am from,a church adorns almost every street corner, and an auto parts store within shouting distance of most churches. 


VBS planted the most important seed that would ever be planted in my life;a seed that would be watered by many more people. Both the planting and watering are important. 


I was pleased to see the activity surrounding bible school at Buda United Methodist Church this week. Although all of my kids are now too old to attend, I popped in to take some pictures. Unfortunately, I am limited with the pictures that I can publish in this blog, because of the privacy of minors, but I do have some great pictures of the scenery, which was nothing short of uh-mazing (Yes, Mom, I know that isn't a real word.)


Children's Ministry Director Kim Fall, led the "Operation Overboard" themed week, with assistance from Youth Director Ryan Stratton and Pastor Nancy Day. Many other volunteers assisted, beginning with planning preparation months ago. I considered listing the names of all of the volunteers, which would inadvertently lead to a name omission, which I would of course blame on church Administrative Assistant and Operations Manager Terry Foley, who would then never save me from disaster whenever I need her assistance. Therefore, I will simply say that there were a plethora of wonderful, beautiful volunteers, including youth. As these pictures show, the kids participated in an imaginary underwater interactive event. 



Amazing picture drawn on the Narthex window by a local artist.


As I snapped pictures, my mind took a trip down memory lane to my years in bible school, adorned with humble decorations. Now, the decorations do not just provide images but transform the environment into a seemingly completely different place.

This resembles the decorations that we had when I was young.





Volunteers Clark Lymon and Greg Grumbles take a breather in between classes for kids.
Is it possible for VBS to be complete without refreshments?!

Children's Ministry Director Kim Fall speaks with volunteer.
Everything was decorated!


More areas underwater
Looks like a blowfish


Children's Ministry Director Kim Fall speaks with Volunteer Clark Lymon
Mural in the worship center of BUMC.


Don''t  fall Kim!!!

Worship Center Decorations

More Worship Center Decorations


And more......
A scuba diver visited



The Sunday School area was underwater.
Children were greeted by Methodist fish.

More Methodist Fish

All kinds of underwater sea creatures were available for the children to see.
Another Methodist Fish. I think this one is a "she"

I think those are 3 Methodist Fish swimming above a Pastor Fish.

The volunteers who did the decorations are 'da bomb! You too, Kim Fall!

This marine life will have to be relocated soon.

The volunteers deserve a prize for these wonderful decorations.
It's a fish and jellyfish thang!

This is the underwater tunnel







Apparently, these were non-denominational fish. That's OK. We can love and accept them too. :)
Nice friendly shark:)

Dare to Care and Change the World



I had a chance to speak with Children's Ministry Director and talk about my experiences at VBS as a child. I was excited to hear from her that she taught John 3:16 the day before to the children. We agreed that VBS is great for planting seeds, and helping children to be comfortable at church. Others will come along and water and nurture their growth throughout their lives.

Amen.


_______________________________________________________

Thanksgiving Challenge and Joy Dare:


Today, I am thankful for:

159. Friends who take up for you.
160. New editors at newspapers.
161. French fries.
162. People with sweet, sweet spirits.
163. Digital cameras.
164. Vacation Bible School
165. Boots










copyright 2012 by Kathy Robbins

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and inspiring article, Kathy. I'm so glad you got to visit and witness the work our church is doing in Children's Ministry. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim for the kind remarks. Ya'll truly did a super job! I can't wait to see what you have in store for next year!

    ReplyDelete