Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Messy Situation



Jackie picked up the phone to hear from her oldest friend, Rosa.

“What’s up?” Jackie asked.
“Well, I have a problem, and I need your advice.” Rosa answered.
“Sure. Lay it on me.”
“ Well, you know I have been friends with Delores since high school and you know she is married to Ron. Well, I just found out that Ron is dating Jeannie and now Jeannie is pregnant with his baby. What I am wanting to know, is should I tell Delores, or should I just keep out of it? I mean, I don’t want to break her heart with the news, but I don’t want her to not know something that she should know, and I don’t want her to find out that I knew and never told her. Oh, I just don’t know what to do. What do you think?”

Jackie said,” Boy, when you said you had a problem, you were serious. I was hoping that you just wanted to know if you should wear the brown sweater or the black one. How do you know that he is dating Jeannie and how do you know she is pregnant and how do you know that he is the father?”

“You know, I have seen Ron and Jeannie together several times, and have been hearing from the guys at work that he is dating her. This has been going on for a while. Last night, I found out from Peggy Sue that she is pregnant, and it is a sure thing. It is definitely Ron’s baby. And Delores is just walking around without a clue. I feel so bad for her!”

“Ok. If you are sure that Ron is really seeing this girl and you are sure that she is pregnant with his baby, how do you know Delores doesn’t know? I mean really, a lot of times wives know more about what their husbands are doing than people realize. Sure, they never admit it to anyone else. But they know.”

“No, Jackie. I really don’t think that she does know. I am telling you. I talk to her and I can tell she doesn’t really have a clue. You know, she and I have been close over the years. I really don’t know what to do. My mom has always said ‘Don’t tell someone because they won’t get mad at the cheating spouse. They will get mad at you for telling them.’”

“Well, I wouldn’t want someone to tell me. I would probably be very upset, embarrassed and annoyed. The way I would look at it, if it were my husband, I would not want one of my closest friends to tell me. I would want to find out on my own. It would save me at least some embarrassment that way. I mean, who would want to have to hear it from their best friend? She will already be humiliated enough without that adding to the humiliation.”

“You wouldn’t want someone to tell you Jackie? Really? Because I would want you to tell me!”

“ No way, Rosa, I wouldn’t want to hear it from my bestie. I wouldn’t want to tell you either. That is a horrible situation. I still say that Delores may know more than you think. She may know about the affair and not talking about it because she is in denial or she silently accepts it. You just never know what people have worked out between each other when they are married.”

“Oh yeah, you can bet I would want you to tell me so that I wouldn’t waste any time divorcing that sorry sucker!” Rosa replied.

“I can’t tell you what Delores wants, but I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wouldn’t want you to tell me, if it were me in that situation.”

“Wow. OK. I guess I won’t tell her then. But I have a feeling that a divorce is on the horizon, and I just hate to see what Delores is about to be put through.”

2 weeks later

“Hello?” Rosa says as she answers the phone.

“Hey Rosa, it’s Jackie. Guess who is pregnant?” Jackie asks.

“Linda,” replies Rosa.

“Yeah,” says Jackie. It seems that Fred saw fit to blab it to me at work. He thought I knew already. He thought my sweet husband Sam had already left me, since he has a baby on the way with his girlfriend. I promise you, I never saw this coming.”

“I am so sorry, Jackie. I had heard it. I wanted to tell you, but I didn’t know if you would just get mad at me, or if you would want me to tell you. That is why I made up that whole story about Delores, Jeannie and Ron. I had to see what you wanted me to do. I am so sorry….”



copyright 2012 by Kathy Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment