Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Challenge



As my previous posts, “Hacked”  and “I Know You Didn't Just Unfriend Me!” probably inadvertently revealed, I am a Facebook junkie. There: I admitted it. I just love Facebook. No matter what time of the day or night, there is always something to do there. Although it might be said that I have spent an excessive amount of time, I have reduced the amount of time that I spend there, and am therefore doing better. After I reached Level 600, I quit playing Mafia Wars. I got bored with Poker and Bejeweled. Then I found Words With Friends: Oops! 


One application that I found via Facebook is Goodreads. I love this website! Goodreads is a social networking book site. A member can join for free and then log in the books that he or she has read and is reading. If someone wants to write a book review of a book, then there is a place for doing this. If you are considering getting a book, you can go here to read reviews and ratings for that book.


Goodreads encourages members to connect with one another and compare reading lists. I love to follow the reading of some of my friends, who have quite a repertoire. Sometimes, I select books on their lists for me to read. 


I was relating this to a friend, who was asking me why I was reading a “high-brow” book. I explained to her that I had found it on the reading list of a friend and decided to read it. She asked me, “Are you going to do the book report too?” Well, now, I can say yes. Because most of the books that I read are reviewed on this blog.



There is also a place for setting a reading goal for the year. Last year, I set my goal at thirty books. I met this goal the week of December 31. This year for my fourth challenge, I am setting my reading goal at forty books. I hope to surpass this, but I will stick to forty. I never tracked them for an entire year before until I joined Goodreads.


Something that I found on the site recently is book giveaways. So far, I have won three books from the book giveaways. They have all been great books, so far. I look at the long list of books, and put in an entry for the ones that interest me. As many books as I plan to read, winning books definitely helps my budget.


Join me in my quest to read in 2012. Better yet, click here to connect to my profile. 
_________________________________________________________________________________


Thankfulness Challenge: Today, I am thankful for:

26. My son's 14th birthday today.
27. A wonderful thunderstorm with a lot of rain last night.
28. Friends who laugh with me at my mistakes.

copyright 2012 by Kathy Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment