Monday, January 2, 2012

Reading Through the Bible in One Year



Happy New Year!

I have a friend who says that she always chooses ten different challenges to take on each year. She said that she had been doing this since she was a child. So I think I will be a copycat. I am going to choose ten different challenges for this year. 


The first challenge that I have selected is in tandem with friends, reading through the bible in one year using the same plan, but different versions of the bible. We will embark on this journey in tandem with one another, exhorting and praying for one another as this journey unfolds. We are a diverse international group, connected by Facebook, open to any and everyone who cares to join. The reading began on New Year’s Day, but there is still plenty of time for anyone to join. The name of the group is Read Through the Bible in 2012.


There is another app that I have joined along the same lines on Facebook: it is Once A Day: Read Once a Day. On this app, you type in your reading for that day, and it posts on your Facebook wall.


This will be the first time that I have followed someone else’s plan in my bible reading. The last time that I read the bible all the way through, I did it one book at a time. The plan that our group is using has a morning and an evening reading. The morning readings are in Genesis and the evening reading is in Matthew for now.


There are many different ways to study and read our bibles. The main thing is that we all find the way that works for us. What works for one may not be successful for another. Here are some suggestions of different ways to read.

1. Read 3 chapters a day. I don’t know whether or not this will get you through in one year, but it will be enough to keep you engaged, and not so much that it is daunting. If you feel compelled to read more on a particular day, do it. If you don’t feel like reading one day, do it anyway. That may be the day that your blessing awaits. For a story about this read, A Gift From the Lord.

2. My Pastor, Jim Sweet told me about a discipline that he uses: he reads one chapter a day in the gospels. He starts with Matthew. He reads one chapter a day in addition to his other reading. He finishes before the end of the month, then he waits until the first of the month and starts the next book. That way, he reads each gospel three times a year. Great idea! I will be following this plan in addition to my daily reading with the Facebook group.

3. Pastor Jim also shared with me that he listens to tapes of the bible while doing mundane chores like shaving in the morning and cleaning house. Another great idea. The bible can be put on an MP3 player or Ipod and listened to during exercising. This is good for helping to increase faith, following the scripture in Romans 10:17 that says, “…faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God.”

4. A former pastor, Tim Morgan of Andalusia Bible Church once told our congregation that if we got  bogged down by the “begats”, to turn the page. Don’t get bogged down and quit.

5. Of course, feel free to join our Facebook group and follow the plan that we are following. We would love to have you! One of the ladies in the group, Carmen Elena Lopez, who said that she had heard a pastor on Moody Radio preach that whenever we read our bible, there are three questions that we need to ask while reading. These are:

     1. What is this passage teaching me?
     2. Is there a promise in this passage I must believe?
     3. Is there a command I must obey?

These are great guiding questions!

Do you have a specific discipline for your bible reading and study? I would love to hear from you about your plan.

Linking up with Laura at The Wellspring  and with Jen






copyright 2012 by Kathy Robbins

13 comments:

  1. You have set a wonderful goal. My goal is typically to read through the Bible in 2-3 years. I usually take over a year to read the Old Testament, and a little less to read through the New Testament. Last year I started reading 2 weeks in the OT, then 1 week in the NT. I am enjoying the diversity.

    May the Lord bless you richly in His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. I have found good diversity in swapping around as well. Thanks for the comment. Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading through The Bible in a year is big goal- but it sounds like your fb group has a plan. I think having the support of other people will help you to reach your goal- plus you may get to discuss what you ar reading which will keep you engaged. I have never read the whole book straight through- so I am impressed with your goal. Wishing you the best of luck. May 2012 be a wonderful year for you.

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Jess. So far, so good! Blessings, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful challenge, Kathy! You will be so blessed in reading as a community, I think. I did one of those plans a couple years ago, and I am still digesting all that I learned. Many blessings in the New Year, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! My husband and I are committed to reading the entire Bible this year, too. We are following a chronological plan. A friend shared with me that there are 261 chapters in the NT and 260 weekdays (M-F) in a year. So if a person reads one chapter M-F, she can make it through the NT in a year. This might be appealing to someone who's not quite ready for the OT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the One Year Bible last year and this year I am going to do the Chronological version. I'm excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time in the Truth is what matters, so I know you're going to have a good year! I've done the straight through reading and a chronological reading, and both worked well. Now I'm enjoying reading more slowly in my NIV/Message parallel Bible. It's so interesting to see and compare the two versions. Makes me really think on it. Until commenting here, I hadn't realized that my Bible reading right now is matching my word for the year: slowly. Funny I hadn't made that connections. Enjoy plenty of tea while reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great information. I never knew that about the weekdays and the chapters! I will remember this. Thanks for your reply and the information!
    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the chronological version goes well and offers you variety. Thanks for stopping by!
    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your word for the year. I couldn't come up with one. Guess my challenges will have to do. I keep my tea close always!
    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Larura. I have been amazed at all of the reading that people have been doing. I have been truly blessed by this community of faithful, believing bloggers. Shalom for you in the coming year, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by, Jess. Always remember reading the bible straight through is simple. Just one chapter at a time.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete